Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You gotta be kidding! Pike are not the a**holes of the fishing world!

After reading this article on the existence of pike in western Montana, I have come to love them even more. I come across quite a few of those "elitest" trout fly fishermen here in Colorado. There is a river here that is a "gold medal trout stream", and often times very large pike can be found there running beside rainbow and brown trout. The lake above and the one below both contain healthy populations of trout and pike. The upper lake has a Fish and Wildlife Department regulation to remove any and all pike caught from the lake. I think that it's completely silly! Yes, it is true that pike will savor a trout, but around here their main meal comes from either suckers or crawfish, or mud dogs. I have been asked to not toss those big flies around here because they "scare" the trout away. Completely silly! Why fish for such a pansy fish, "GO PIKE"!!!

2 comments:

Musky Country Outfitters said...

Yes, GO PIKE!!

e.m.b. said...

Pansy fish! ;) Great post....I totally agree. I love trout and stream fishing and all, but have gotten into carp and caught my first pike a week ago! Awesome blog! Glad I found it and glad to be reading!